Sunday, August 19, 2012

Tuesday Poem - 20th day by Graham Nunn


20th day

on the couch we lie
heart to heart, as sleep
buttons you to my chest

and though my body
aches, I dare not move
this climate we share

so intimate: slow
synch of heartbeats
as our rivers converge

I heard Graham read some of his new book – The First 30 and other poems – at Geelong Library and it was quite something. Such tenderness, such sureness of tone. The First 30 is a poem a day written after the birth of his son. And what a beautiful cover! 

Available from Another Lost Shark Publications.



If you want to read more Tuesday Poems click on the quill icon at the top.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,
    it is a lovely cover...and a beautiful poem. The phrase 'as sleep buttons you to my chest'...so apt
    Thanks for sharing this and thanks to Graham too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Helen, am glad that phrase spoke deeply to you.

    Graham

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's excellent I think for men to express their love and their experience of having children. I love poetry like this: spare, but so full and powerful at the same time. And, yes, fantastic cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just catching up on your last few Tuesday Poems - I love the tenderness of this one, and enjoyed all your choices for the last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete