Monday, January 23, 2012

Tuesday Poem - Cute by David Prater

 
Cute

the cute and loving appreciation of my book and me
by them in Australia has gone right to my heart.
WALT WHITMAN writing to Bernard O'Dowd, 1891

i wish to specifically send remembrances & love to you
& how is your mother bernard is she well? i do hope so

(tho i've never met her or your good self nevertheless
send her my regards & tell her to water the daisies often

& fred woods is well? I do hope the bruise heals soon
(tho what happened to him I can't tell either no matter

& young jim hartigan is he likewise well? I do hope so
but please do send him my best regards & the solution

to this week's crossword is enclosed ada I do hope she's
well you speak so highly of her I wonder whether she's

not your real wife after all now don't go jumping to
conclusions bernard I can only go by what you tell meh

about your bowel movements bernard are they regular
i pray so for you know my views on this issue prunes &

buttermilk (enough said eva I presume she's well oh
i hope so & as I know oh she's very cute in that photo

you mentioned enclosing never did arrive unfortunately
still I see her pretty well from here & very cute she is

& her parents mr & mrs fryer are both cute I hope so
please also kindly pass on to dear mr fryer my sincere

congratulations on winning the bridge tournament &
don't ask him how I know! tell ted he's wanted in several

states over here (i'm sure he'll get the joke it's private
I don't recall who louie is but please send him or her

fond salutations & finally tom touchstone who i can't
place (no i'm getting nothing but suppose & hope he

is well I guess that's all but hi also to other friends not
named e.g. pet cats the milkman (oh he is a cute one


David Prater was born in Dubbo in Australia but is imminently about to move from Karlskrona, Sweden, to live in Stockholm. He is the editor of Cordite Poetry Review. This poem appears in The Best Australian Poems 2011 edited by John Tranter published by Black Inc.
Link to his blog and more poems in this series - http://daveydreamnation.com/blog/

For more Tuesday Poems click the quill icon at the top of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment