Monday, December 23, 2013

Tuesday Poem - Christmas by Giuseppe Ungaretti

Christmas

I have no wish
to plunge
into a web
of streets

On my shoulders
I feel
such weariness

Leave me like this
like a
thing
laid down
in a
corner
and forgotten

Here
one feels
nothing
but the good warmth

I stay
with the four
caprioles
of smoke
from the stove

         Naples, December 26th 1916

The Italian poet Giuseppe Ungaretti (1880 – 1970) lived through interesting times
and introduced the idea of Ermetismo (Hermeticism) which was influenced by
Symbolism and Futurism. Perhaps he is most known for this very short poem -

Mattina
M’illumino
d’immenso
(I illuminate (myself)
with immensity)

I always feel the translation of this poem to be more like – I am illuminated
with immensity.

If you want to read more Tuesday Poems click on the quill icon above.

No comments:

Post a Comment